Saturday, May 10, 2014

German Updates: Kick-Butt songs

People. People, people.

Today, I have a few awesome songs to share. See, a few days, my German teacher played this one song that basically is playing ON REPEAT on my browser's next tab over.


It's called Pirate, by the German band Kasalla. Basically, these are five awesome dudes from Cologne, singing about....you know, pirates. Could it get any better? 

(Side note: I have the chorus down. Of course, I have close to zero idea what it means--other than "Pirate, wild und frei!"--but I'm blasting it and singing along and trying to stick a Cologne accent down my throat.) 

Which...led me to some other awesome German music. 

A) MORE KASALLA.

Immer Noch Do:


Küm mer lääve:


And after poking around Youtube a little bit, I found another band: Silbermond!

Teil Von Mir:

Here's the thing: I've heard that Germans are quite practical IRL. But when it comes to creativity and art? They're not afraid to let their party animal out. Not to mention that I LOVE their music styles. And though I still don't understand many German songs by lyrics, I still like them. Spanish songs always seemed to be about two things: fiesta, or love (count the times "corazon" is mentioned in a Spanish love song), and I liked them, but I wanted other songs, too. While American songs are dominated by redundant pop songs, German songs are quite refreshing--they're quirky, they're innovative, and they're creative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment